Sunday, August 7, 2011

Apple Cranberry Tart


I got the original recipe that inspired this experiment from my friend PJT, but I didn't have enough of everything it called for, so I winged it.

I used a recipe I found online for the dough, this recipe makes twice as much as you will need, I wrapped half in saran wrap and put it in the freezer.

I cooked the crust on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes on 400F.

While it was cooking, I prepared the apples:

3 Fuji Apples (according to the bag anyway, but I'm convinced they were pink ladies), cored and sliced thin.
1/3 cup dried cranberries (I used Craisins)
4 tbs Smart Balance Butter Blend
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup brown sugar

Melt the butter in a microwave-safe container, add spices and sugar. Spoon about 1/2 to 3/4 over the crust and then toss the apples in the remainder.

Lay apple slices over crust, sprinkle dried cranberries on top. Bake at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes, until crust is browned and apples are slightly tender.

Let cool before serving.

No comments: