Sunday, November 13, 2011

Easy Granola

We've been eating a lot of granola around here this summer. The main thing I've discovered besides that it is very filling, is that it is very EXPENSIVE to purchase already made. 


I remember my Grandma making granola in her kitchen when I was a little kid, and the smell that filled the house always made me hungry.


Since I've been tackling other things lately, I decided that if Grandma could do it, I surely can, too! I did a google search for low-sugar granola recipes, and while I'm not convinced that the original recipe I based my version on is very low in sugar at all, I've made some adjustments that should cut down significantly on the sugar but not sacrifice any flavor.


I intend to use UN-sweetened coconut next time, but sweetened is what I had on hand.








Reese's Nutty Granola


2 cups Bob's Red Mill rolled oats 
3/4 cup whole unsalted almonds, roughly chopped (approximately into half)
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup raw cashews, roughly chopped 
1 tbs ground flax seed
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground cinnamon


1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Smart Balance Buttery Stick
2 tbs honey
1 tbs vanilla


1 1/2 cup dates, pitted and cut into approximately 1/4 inch pieces



  • Preheat oven to 300F
  • Combine oats, nuts, coconut, flax seed and spices in a medium mixing bowl.
  • In a small microwavable bowl or cup, melt butter and honey together (about 25 seconds at a time, stirring well in between)
  • Add vanilla to butter/honey mixture
  • Pour butter/honey/vanilla mixture over oat/nut mixture and toss well to combine.
  • Spread mixture on baking sheet.
  • Bake 20 minutes, stirring about every five minutes.
  • Add dates, stir and break up large clumps
  • Bake an additional 15 minutes, stirring every five minutes.
  • Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.

No comments: