Friday, June 27, 2014

Potato Leek Soup

I intended to make my Potato Cheese Soup tonight but ended up with a different base, and it came out as a different (but equally delicious) thing!


Potato Leek Soup

INGREDIENTS:
- Olive oil or butter equivalent (totally negotiable amount based on your pan and taste, I used Smart Balance)
- 1 leek, diced (I bought the Trader Joe's 2 pack of trimmed leeks)
-1/8 tsp Sea salt (I used a purple sage and thyme sea salt mix)
- Sprinkling of granulated garlic (I would have used a minced fresh clove if I had it)
- Dried sage
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes 
- 2 tbs chicken seasoning (you can sub the seasoning and water for chicken broth if you're not a vegetarian)
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup white cooking wine (I used Trader Joe's "2 Buck Chuck" Pinot Grigio)
- 1 package cream cheese or Neufchâtel cheese (I used Trader Joe's light cream cheese)
- additional sea salt to taste

INSTRUCTIONS:
Wash potatoes, you can peel if you like, I just took out eyes and any bad spots and left the skins on. I like the texture! Cut into approx 1"-2" pieces. 

In a medium/large saucepan/soup pot, heat oil/butter until ready to sauté (butter starts bubbling/browning).

Add salt, garlic and sage (I used about a 1/2 tbs but it totally depends on the strength of what you have and how much you like sage!), stir a little and add diced leeks.

Cover and let sauté until soft and starting to turn clear.

Add broth/seasoning-water, cover and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until fork tender on medium.

Add wine and cream cheese, use potato masher to break down potatoes and cream cheese so it will melt faster. Add salt to taste.

Once heated thoroughly and cheese is mostly melted.

Made about 6 cups of soup. We had it with Grilled Muenster sandwiches. Fantastic!! 

No comments: