Monday, December 1, 2008

Mushroom & Wine Gravy

This recipe is based on a gravy that my Uncle Walt makes. I've only had it once that I recall, and that was at Thanksgiving at their house in Yuba City in 2005. My cousin Carrie doesn't like mushrooms, so Walt makes a little pan for her without them. When I asked my Aunt Dixie for the recipe she sent me one that didn't include the mushrooms, so I figured it was Carrie's version and just assumed how to include them.

This is the recipe I received:

4 tablespoons butter

1 1/2 cups white wine

2 packets George Washington Broth

1 spoon full Sovex

2 1/2 c
ups water Wondra or sifted flour
Melt butter in large pan. Add Wine and simmer to reduce. Add water, George Washington Broth and Sovex. Thicken sauce with Wondra or sifted flour.
When we went to the grocery store to find the George Washington broth packets and Sovex, I couldn't find either, so I bought a jar of Marmite and a container of Swanson Vegetable broth.
I sauteed about three cups of sliced button mushrooms in the four tablespoons of butter and then added 1 1/2 cups of pinot grigio (it was that or chardonnay, and chardonnay is a little fruity for gravy).
I "simmered to reduce" and then added a full spoon of Marmite and 2 1/2 cups of the vegetable broth. I added about a 1/3 cup of sifted flour to thicken the gravy and whisked it to keep the flour from clumping.

In all it made about 4 cups of very tasty mushroom gravy that went very nicely on the mashed potatoes and both of our stuffings. Scott said it also brought out the flavors in his turkey.

No comments: