I am committing to making it today, before my ingredients rot! I will add pics after I make it.
I got this recipe from my Mom, who got it from a family friend.
Italian Lentil Soup
- Olive oil to coat bottom of pan (can be minimal or up to ½ cup)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, diced
- ½ to 1 green pepper, diced
- 1-3 carrots, diced (be sure they’re not strong or bitter)
Sauté til onions are soft, stirring occasionally.
- 2 15-oz. cans tomatoes
- 5 cans water
- 2 cups raw lentils (washed)
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
Cook approximately 1 ½ hours. Add:
- 1 ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. thyme
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Cook 15 minutes; then blend about 1/3 of the soup.
- Chopped parsley (I use about ¼ cup)
Top each bowl with freshly grated parmesan cheese.