Monday, January 26, 2009

Cinnamon Roll Experiment: Part I


A few days ago we were watching Food Network (pretty common around our house) and saw an episode of Unwrapped that included how they make a particular brand of cinnamon rolls. Scott and I were both drooling over the idea of such tasty baked goods, so I started doing some internet searches for cinnamon roll recipes.

I came across this one which even without the chocolate chips sounds tasty and reasonably easy.

The original can be found here.

I got started in the process and then discovered I don't have any eggs or even any eggbeaters left, so I threw in a tiny bit more water, milk and a big soup spoon full of sour cream instead.

Here's the recipe as I interpreted it...
  • 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
  • 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine, divided
  • 1/3 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Cut in 2 tablespoons of the butter until crumbly. Add the milk, sour cream and yeast mixture; stir well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 4 hours.
(Do dishes, take a shower, pay bills, watch an episode of House and a few other episodes from our DVR to pass the time)

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 10-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush butter to within 1/2 in. of edges.

Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and remaining sugar. Sprinkle over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices; place cut side down in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.


I don't have a rolling pin, so I used an empty oil bottle. I rolled the dough out to about 6" x 12" and did the butter and sugar thing, then rolled from the long side. I think when it said "from the short side" in meant to end up with more layers.

As is, I have about 18 small rolls in the pan. I'm waiting for them to "double".

Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. In a bowl, combine the sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency; drizzle over warm rolls. Serve warm.
GLAZE:
  • 1/3 cup sugar (I don't have any powdered)
  • 1 1/2 tbs butter, melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup hot milk
The rolls are baking now, and I dissolved the sugar in the hot butter and milk, added the vanilla and stirred. Since I needed something to thicken it, I added another couple of spoonfulls of sour cream and whipped it with my mixer.

When in doubt, add sour cream.

The rolls baked for about 20 minutes and I think the glaze needs to chill for about another half hour.

Overall score (out of 10): 3 - edible but not worth sharing with others.

No comments: