Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Veggie Stroganoff


I quite often develop recipes based on what we have in the house at the time that I'm hungry and inspired to cook.

I've made a stroganoff from scratch before two or three times, and it's always been different. I've experimented with using red wine in the sauteing of the mushrooms, to mixed results.

Scott always prefers to be what he considers to be "authentic" and have the sauce over egg noodles.

Tonight I started off with what I had in the fridge and cupboard, and ended up making a store run for a tub of sour cream and some fresh mushrooms.


1 block neufchatel cheese
1 16 oz light sour cream
1 8oz can lo-fat mushroom soup
1 can (from the soup) lowfat milk

1 large white onion/yellow onion, diced
1/2 bag MSF burger crumbles
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
kosher salt

12 oz egg noodles

dill
mrs dash garlic & herb

container button mushrooms, sliced
container shitake mushrooms, sliced


In a very large saucepan/saute pan on low, combine mushroom soup and milk, put package of neufchatel cheese in to melt. (I left for the store at this point, so I left it all on low for about a half hour and the cheese was nicely creamy by the time I got back. You can microwave it before adding it to the pan if you don't want to wait.)

Add the sour cream and turn heat up to 2 or 3 just until the mixture is easily combined and creamy. Add about a tablespoon of dried (or fresh if you have it) minced dill, turn heat back down to low.

In another saute pan on medium heat, add olive oil and diced onions. Once the onions start to sizzle a little, add the half bag of burger crumbles, drizzle a little balsamic over the top and stir. As soon as the crumbles are thawed and beginning to warm, add mushrooms, another drizzle of balsamic and a healthy sprinkle of Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning. Saute until the onions are soft and clear and the mushrooms are starting to juice.

Add mushroom mixture to the dairy mixture and bring back to heat at about 2 or 3. Salt to taste.

Boil your egg noodles according to the package directions, strain and EAT.

I am the happiest with this result of any of my stroganoff attempts. Then again, it's hard for me not to love anything with mushrooms and sour cream in it.

2 comments:

trupptastic said...

YUMMMM!! I'm in agreement with the mushroom/sour cream statement. And cream cheese ta'boot. I can't wait to try it (or a similar variation!) =) Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I have a mushroom stroganoff veggie soup recipe that is amazing. I strongly recommend the book "Follow Your Heart Vegetarian Soup Cookbook". You will not be disappointed. Nearly every recipe is amazing.