Sunday, January 23, 2011

MORE Soup!



I have a potato obsession. Okay, perhaps it's a carbohydrate obsession, seeing as I love potatoes and bread equally... but my love for potatoes is strong and passionate.

About 10 years ago I was in the habit of hosting a weekly "Dinner Night" at my apartment and would try to make things that were relatively simple, easy to adapt for large groups, and TASTY. This recipe has always been a hit with everyone I've ever served it to.

What could be better than potatoes and cheese? I did some googling of potato-cheese soup and came across this interesting recipe for Ecuadorian Potato Cheese Soup with Avocado. Not all of my friends love avocado as much as I do, so I usually just serve it as a garnish instead of including it in the bowl to begin with.

Ecuadorian Potato-Cheese Soup (with or without avocado...)




2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
4 cups cold water
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds) or other boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 cups light cream
2 cups corn kernels
1 cup crumbled queso blanco, crumbled farmer's cheese or grated Muenster cheese (about 1/4 pound)
2 medium-size ripe avocados
Snipped fresh chives or fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish




In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add the onion, paprika and turmeric and sauté until onion is softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add the potatoes. Lower heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.





Break up potatoes into smaller pieces with a fork or wooden spoon. Stir in the cream and corn and cook until heated through and corn is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cheese and heat until melted, about 1 minute.

Halve, peel and pit the avocados. Slice crosswise. Place avocado pieces in soup bowls, ladle soup over the avocado slices, garnish with snipped fresh chives or cilantro leaves, and serve.

*I often find that the soup needs more salt, but add to your own taste.

Makes 8 servings.

Variation: For a meat version, stir in 1 pound of shredded, cooked chicken



When I made this tonight I sliced a whole avocado into my bowl of soup - FANTASTIC.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

This looks SO tasty! Never would have thought to add avocado, but that sounds delicious! And I'm definitely going to have to make the Hungarian Mushroom--Jesse can just make something else! :)

Marisa said...

Tell me how you like it, Katrina... it's been a very popular recipe with everyone I've ever fed it to. :)

Samantha said...

Jesse just needs to suck it up and eat it! :)

Samantha said...

And I am equally excited to make, and eat, these soups! YUM!