Sunday, January 23, 2011

Souuup!



One of my favorite restaurants in Portland, Oregon is Old Wives' Tales. I'm sure that part of my love for the place has to do with the wide variety of vegetarian options, but everything I've ever had there has always been delicious.

My VERY favorite thing on the menu is Hungarian Mushroom Soup. Growing up I was not much of a soup-eater, but this was the one exception and I've loved it ever since.

I don't know the origins of this particular recipe, and don't know how accurate it is in comparison to that made at Old Wives' Tales, but it works for me!


Hungarian Mushroom Soup
3/4 lbs fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon dill weed (I use fresh when I can)
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons tamari (I used light soy sauce tonight)
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons white flour
1 cup milk
2 cups water or vegetable stock
1/2 cup sour cream


In medium pot or large sauce-pan, saute mushrooms and onion in 2 tbs butter until onions start to turn clear and mushrooms are starting to soften.

Add water (or stock), dill, paprika & tamari. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Microwave milk in separate container for about a minute.

In a small pot, melt remaining butter and stir in flour. Cook over medium heat to slightly browned, whisk in milk, then add mixture to mushroom mixture.

Stir in sour cream just before serving.


I ate most of the pot by myself.

No comments: