Thursday, January 5, 2012

Italian Lentil Soup

I have intended to make this soup for over a week, now. Various life things (including lack of motivation) have hindered my progress.

I am committing to making it today, before my ingredients rot! I will add pics after I make it.

I got this recipe from my Mom, who got it from a family friend.



Italian Lentil Soup
Serves 5-10

  •  Olive oil to coat bottom of pan (can be minimal or up to ½ cup)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2-3 stalks celery, diced
  • ½ to 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1-3 carrots, diced (be sure they’re not strong or bitter)



Sauté til onions are soft, stirring occasionally.  
Add: 

  • 2 15-oz. cans tomatoes 
  • 5 cans water
  • 2 cups raw lentils (washed)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Pepper to taste


Cook approximately 1 ½  hours.  Add:

  • 1 ½ tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • ½ tsp. thyme
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced

Cook 15 minutes; then blend about 1/3 of the soup.
Add :
  • Chopped parsley (I use about ¼ cup)
Reheat.


Top each bowl with freshly grated parmesan cheese.







No comments: