Thursday, November 22, 2012

Crisp!



I grew up eating apple crisp made by my Mother on select weekends and special occasions. I always loved the sweet, crumbly topping better than the apples when I was young, but as an adult I can appreciate the tartness of the apples as a complement.

Somewhere I have her recipe, but I haven't been able to find it for some time. This is what I came up with last year and it works well enough to satisfy my memory!

Reese's Apple Crisp 

 Topping:
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup Krusteaz Gingerbread mix
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup butter/margarine (1 stick) at room temperature
Filling:
  • 5 large honeycrisp apples, peeled and chopped into approximately 1" pieces
  • 1 tbs cinnamon
  • 2 tbs vanilla
  • 2 tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tbs butterscotch schnapps
  • 2 tbs Ellie Bluebell Bourbon Vanilla Bean Sugar
  • (I also added about 1/4 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg)
Assembly:
  • In a small mixing bowl combine all dry topping ingredients. 
  • Once butter/margarine is room temperature, cut into dry mixture with fork or pastry cutter.
  • Spread apple slices over bottom of 9"x12" baking dish.
  • Combine filling wet ingredients and pour over apples, tossing to coat
  • Combine filling dry ingredients and sprinkle over apples, tossing to coat
  • Bake at 350F until topping is golden, about 45 minutes.

No comments: