Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reese's Potato Soup



Scott and I are both on crazy diets right now - two separate ones! We're crazy! He's doing the "Paleo" diet, and I am attempting to go Gluten free to see if it helps with some symptoms I've been having for a long time.

I was in the mood for potatoes all day and decided to make a potato soup, but one that isn't so heavy as a potato-cheese soup. Don't be mistaken, I'll still grate a little cheddar over the top, but I'm hoping to make it a little lower fat.

A lot of soups and gravies start with a roux of butter and flour, since I'm trying to avoid flour right now I can't do that, so I decided to bulk it up a little with more celery and I used neufchatel cheese instead of the milk and cream.

I started with this recipe and then changed it up.

 
 (sorry my picture is sideways)
Reese's Potato Soup
  • 4 tbs (1/2 stick) Smart Balance w/ Olive Oil  (or butter)
  • 3 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cubes Not Chik'n bouillon cubes
  • 4 med/lg baking potatoes, peeled & cut into 1" chunks
  • 1 pkg Neufchatel cheese
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • In a large pot on med/low heat, melt margarine/butter. Add celery, onion, garlic and salt, and saute until onions are starting to turn clear.
  • Raise heat to medium and add water and bouillon cubes and stir to dissolve.
  • Once it reaches a simmer, add potatoes and continue to simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. 
  • Turn heat to low and use a potato masher (I use a silicon one so it doesn't wreck the bottom of the pot) to mash up the potatoes. 
  • Add Neufchatel cheese and stir until melted.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste, serve with diced green onion or chives, and a little shredded cheddar cheese.

No comments: