Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Vegetarian Meatballs #2

This is another recipe from my Great-Aunt Heather's cookbook, "Vital Vittles".


My VERY carnivorous husband LOVES these pretty much any way I prepare them, baked with brown gravy, mushroom gravy, or marinara.


I did not have whole wheat bread crumbs or regular soy sauce, so I substituted Panko bread crumbs and Tamari low-sodium soy sauce in their place.




Heather Leno's No-Meatballs


Combine in a blender:

  • 1 pkg Mori-Nu firm tofu
  • 1 1/2 cup onion (I chopped it in big chunks)
  • 2 tbs Tamari Low-Sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Whiz until smooth, transfer to medium mixing bowl.

Add the following ingredients to bowl:
  • 1 cup ground walnuts (I ground them in my mini food-processor, sometimes I use a combination of walnuts and pecans)
  • 1 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tbs ground flaxseed
  • 2 tbs parsley flakes
  • 1/2 tsp sage
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp basil
Mix well, scoop onto prepared cookie sheet (I use a large cookie sheet with parchment paper lined - SO EASY for cleanup!) with a small scoop.

Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes until brown and firming to the touch.

At this point you can either freeze them for later use or bake them in a baking dish covered with a gravy of your choice, sweet & sour sauce, or spaghetti sauce.

I baked 16 of them in a 9x9 baking dish with mushroom gravy at 350F for about 35-40 minutes and the rest in Scott's home-made marinara sauce for the same amount of time in a separate dish.


*Cooking note: I baked mine longer than the original recipe instructed, as the first time making them gave me meatballs that started to fall apart. I increased the baking time of the meatballs themselves and also increased the baking time with sauce.

No comments: