Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mushroom Gravy #2




Tonight I made some vegetarian meatballs, and I decided to bake them with a nice mushroom gravy. Since I am out of wine, I couldn't make Walt's Mushroom & Wine Gravy.


I decided to wing a mushroom gravy and base it on the mushroom & wine recipe, but doing things in a little bit different order.




Reese's Mushroom Gravy
  • 1 to 2 tbs olive oil (amount depends on how stick or non-stick your pan is)
  • 2 to 3 cups sliced mushrooms
Saute mushrooms in oil until limp, keep covered to retain the juices until almost done, then it is ok to remove the lid and let a little evaporate.



While mushrooms are sauteing, heat the following in a small/medium saucepan on medium/low:

  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 2 tbs butter or margarine (I use Smart Balance Buttery Sticks with Olive Oil)
When oil and butter is melted, add:
  • 1/2 cup flour
Stir to create a pasty dough, keep stirring and watch heat so it doesn't burn, but let it brown a little bit.


In a microwavable cup, heat


Stir to dissolve, then add to flour mixture and stir to combine, breaking up any lumps with a whisk or wooden spoon.


Add sauteed mushrooms and their liquid to flour/butter/bouillon mixture, add

Stir to dissolve. If you want a thicker gravy you can bring to a low simmer to reduce a bit.



This recipe made about 3 cups of gravy. I like my gravy pretty salty, if it seems too salty to you, lessen the amount of Marmite.



No comments: